Land Rover Reveals Unique Defender 110 To Showcase Rugby World Cup Trophy On Countdown Tour
Land Rover has revealed the Rugby World Cup 2023 Trophy Car, a unique electric hybrid Defender 110, with bespoke trophy cabinet to safely and securely display the Webb Ellis Cup
- Defender is a Worldwide Partner of Rugby World Cup France 2023 and Official Vehicle Partner for the tournament.
- Rugby World Cup 2023 Trophy Car will display the prestigious Webb Ellis Cup on a Tour around France.
- Bespoke Defender features an illuminated trophy cabinet, with state-of-the-art technology to control temperature and lighting to ensure the Webb Ellis Cup is always visible.
Bespoke Defender features an illuminated trophy cabinet, with state-of-the-art technology to control temperature and lighting to ensure the Webb Ellis Cup is always visible. With only 100 days to go until Rugby World Cup France 2023, Defender has revealed the Rugby World Cup 2023 Trophy Car, a unique electric hybrid Defender 110 created to display the Webb Ellis Cup on a Tour across France.
Defender is a proud Worldwide Partner of Rugby World Cup 2023 in France and committed to supporting the sustainability pledge that World Rugby and France 2023 have made for the tournament and have created a bespoke vehicle to display one of the most recognised pieces of silverware in global sport - the Webb Ellis Cup.
The specially modified electric hybrid Defender was developed and constructed by JLR’s Special Vehicle Operations division in Coventry, England. The Rugby World Cup 2023 Trophy Car has been designed to safely and securely showcase the Webb Ellis Cup using Defender’s advanced electrified plug-in electric hybrid powertrain.
The bespoke trophy cabinet at the rear of the vehicle has been designed with high-specification technology to ensure optimum conditions for the famous trophy, without compromising Defender’s instantly recognisable silhouette. Minimalistic Rugby World Cup France 2023 and partnership livery has been applied across the bonnet and doors.
"I am proud of my team for creating the incredible Rugby World Cup 2023 Trophy Car. Defender is all about embracing the impossible and it is very exciting for our vehicle to play such an important role in this fantastic tournament." - Richard Woolley, Studio Director, Brand Creation
"We are delighted to be showcasing the Webb Ellis Cup in the host nation ahead of the Rugby World Cup 2023. Rugby embodies determination, integrity, courage, and capability – core values for Defender. Our partnership and the bespoke Rugby World Cup 2023 Trophy Car celebrate these shared values. We look forward to welcoming existing and prospective Defender customers to the Trophy Tour over the summer." -Philippe Robbrecht, Executive Director for JLR France
The Tour commences in France on 9 June at the Top 14 Semi Finals in Biarritz. The Rugby World Cup 2023 Trophy Car will be on display for invited guests as part of Defender’s hospitality guest programme. The Rugby World Cup 2023 Trophy Car and Webb Ellis Cup will then be displayed at subsequent rugby events and Defender Retailers across the host nation. Rugby fans and prospective Defender customers will have the chance to view and photograph the Webb Ellis Cup and bespoke Defender 110.
The Rugby World Cup 2023 Trophy Car and Webb Ellis Cup will be displayed at the following locations.
- 9 – 10 June: Top 14 Semi Finals, Biarritz *
- 12 June: 17ème Retailer, Paris
- 15 June: Montmartre Retailer, Paris
- 16 June: Boulogne Retailer, Boulogne
- 17 June: Top 14 Final, Mortefontaine*
- 18 – 19 June: Casino de Deauville, Deauville / Hotel le Normandy, Deauville
- 15 – 16 July: Domaine de Biar, Montpellier
- 17 July: Marseille or Toulon Retailer
- 18 – 19 July: Lounge Club, St Tropez
- 10 August: Mas Tolosa, Toulouse / Le Manoir du Prince, Toulouse
- 11 – 12 August: Château Mader, Arcachon
- 13 – 14 August: Cap Ferret
The Tour in France and the UK began in May and will conclude on 14 August ahead of the Rugby World Cup France 2023 opening match on 8 September at Stade de France in Saint-Denis.
* Event is exclusive and invite only